[Updated: May 5, 2010] Added minutes from the meeting indicated with the vertical blue line at the left margin.
When: May 5th 2010 6:30-8:30pm
Where: Scotts Valley Middle School Library
Who: Open to anyone interested
On Wednesday May 5th, 2010 there will be a meeting for those interested in discussing and exploring the available options concerning a parcel tax. As with any tax measure there are many details to consider and a wide array of option regarding how to structure such a tax. Researching and formulating such a ballot measure is a task for citizens of the community and therefore it’s up to all of us as to what we would want to appear on a ballot.
- Action item update from last meeting
- News Updates
- Scotts Valley Education Association (SVEA) position, results from survey
- Assessor’s office statement on the question of tax exempt property
- Email / phone contact with consulting firm
- Los Gatos HS parcel tax survey article (now linked)
- Senior exemption public notice in Sentinel (SC City)
- Dollar-a-Day (DaD) letter
- Others (round the table)
- Google docs status
- Tax Structure
- Amount: $1.0M (what we need) v $X
- $150 flat
- $fixed + $/acre (and variations)
- Res v non-res
- Distribution constraints:
- Min / Max range
- Avoid steep transitions
- Duration: 5 yrs v ?
- Purpose: People and programs
- Survey Questions
- Awareness of fiscal situation
- $150/parcel support level
- Support for other distributions (2? 3? 4?)
- Importance / non-importance of distribution parameters
- Duration – is it even worth asking about?
- Purpose – a statement rather than a question
- Bond – is this the time to gather this info?
- Communications & Networking
- Organizing for Scotts Valley Schools (OSVS)
At this point, there has been only one other related meeting held on April 14 at the Scotts Valley Middle School Library.
In order to properly structure any tax measure it’s really important to get as much feedback and input as possible, hope to see you there.
[Updated: May 5, 2010] Updated agenda and reworked the wording for type type of meeting to indicate this is open to anyone in the community interested in helping explore Parcel Tax options.