Querying email addresses in a Google Spreadsheet

I’ve been playing around with Google Spreadsheets and was attempting to query for an email address stored within a column. It’s pretty straight forward, or at least so I thought, but kept running into the error:

Parse error: Invalid token encountered

And stumbled around for awhile trying to URL encode various parts of the query string which looks something like this:


The documentation states query operators need to be encoded so I tried applying that to parts of my query with no luck. Eventually, I threw some quotes around the email address and voila, it worked!


I eventually found this thread validating my findings and indicating my original query might have worked as recently as last December.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.