Category Archives: Appengine

Updating SSL certificate on Google AppEngine

A year ago at Google announced HTTPS as a ranking signal and following suit  I added SSL support to aroundairports.com and a few days ago I received an renewal email from GoDaddy for the cert. I recalled setting SSL up on AppEngine was a royal PITA and aligning the stars just so took several hours over a few days spelunking around the web to piece together the right steps. So this year I couldn’t quire recall all of the details though I had written a few key pieces of information down which really helped.
Continue reading

Cost of WordPress blog running on Google AppEngine

Having recently migrated all of my blog/site content to Google AppEngine away from my prior $10/month hosting I was curious about what the monthly cost of running the site would be. My blog went live on AppEngine on Nov 13th and with the default instance settings was running ~$2.00/day at roughly 50-55 instance hours the vast majority of which is servicing requests from crawlers.

Tuning Google AppEngine, For Cost

Idle Instances

As mentioned above I started with the default settings and the first significant change was to set Idle Instance Max to 1 as running multiple instances chews through the free 28 hours at an xN multiplier rate. This change alone had a significant impact on reducing overall instance hours though clearly impacts the performance of my blog. I’ve tested the performance and for a blog I feel it’s suitable so I’m comfortable leaving things at this level for awhile.
Continue reading

WordPress on Google AppEngine and Migrating from BlogEngine.NET

In 2004 I started blogging on my own domain using discountasp.net as they offered a competitive hosting package based on Microsoft technology. Fast forward nearly a decade and I haven’t used Microsoft technology for nearly 5 years and maintaining my Blogengine.NET blog had become an increasing challenge. Upgrades were very difficult and I found myself stuck on a tweaked version that couldn’t have easily be upgraded. Recently, Google added support for PHP on Google Appengine and posted steps to get WordPress running so I applied for and got early access and I’ve been slowing migrating all of my content.
Continue reading

WordPress running on Google AppEngine

After several months of slowly migrating all of my blog content and testing Google’s WordPress support on AppEngine I’ve finally pulled the trigger on moving my blog from BlogEngine.NET hosted on discountASP.NET to AppEngine.

w00t!

As time permits I’ll post details here regarding caveats I ran into (some of which I’m still wrangling). At any rate, I’m glad to be off of .NET and have learned a lot about some new parts of Google’s Cloud Infrastructure.

Configuring virtualenv to run Google appengine samples

In my experiments with Google AppEngine I wanted to configure a virtualenv using python 2.5 for running Google’s samples. Using the existing python install for OSX I was running into a few errors such as:

ImportError: No module named django

and

ImportError: No module named cgi

A bit of Googling turned up this post which details all of the necessary steps. In step 2 the path I used for google_appengine was:

/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine

Leveraging the Facebook API on Google AppEngine with jQuery Mobile

In the past I’ve built starter kits for Facebook development in ASP.NET and building CruiseControl plugins. My latest interest has been experimenting with Google AppEngine as my day job is all python appserver stuff so it’s a pretty logical fit. I’m slowly putting together all of the pieces I’d like to have in website starter kit including support for jQuery Mobile and Facebook Graph API.

I have a simple proof-of-concept app working here. Btw, as this is a work-in-progress it YMMV and the app may or may not be in a working state so apologies in advance.

Technologies used:

Google AppEngine

Cheetah Templates

Facebook Graph API

jQuery Mobile

Setting up debugging for Google AppEngine projects in Eclipse

When I made the move from Windows to OSX and Python development one of the things I wanted to experiment with has been Google’s AppEngine. I installed the SDK and setup the plugin for Eclipse but ran into a few issues I wanted to make note of since I think other could probably benefit from it as well. I’ll mention I’m on OSX 10.6.8 using Eclipse for Java Version Helios SR 2.
Continue reading