As the complaints about Yahoo’s homepage redesign continue pouring in on my Switch back post I thought I’d mention how I moved on:
- Forwarded all Yahoo email (using Yahoo Mail Pro, don’t worry it’s cheap) to my newer email address hosted on my own domain using Google Apps for Domains meaning I can use GMail as my client even with my personal email address (very nice!)
- Use Prism (or Refractor add-on for Firefox) hosting GMail on the desktop
- Switched to Pandora replacing, the now sold-off, LAUNCHCast for music
- Switched to Feedly in Firefox for news and RSS reading based on my $g(Google Reader) feeds
- Use Trillian as my IM client for my Yahoo contacts (among others)
- Moved my address book to my iPod Touch and Facebook which is nice since friends provide their own updates
- Switched to $g(Google groups) from Yahoo Groups
- Switched to $g(Google Calendar)
- Switched to Google’s Picasa for photos
Having been a Yahoo customer for well over ten years I’m a little torn though feel they left me more then I left them. Regardless, my Yahoo days have ended, I do wish them well as I know they’re struggling.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.