I was searching for this post by Jeff Atwood and this got me thinking that it's crazy Google Reader doesn't have search! I think when you start using Google Reader you should automatically, and behind the scenes, get a Google Co-op search engine that tracks the sites you are subscribed to and let's you search only those sites.
Ah ha! It just so happens you can do this yourself. All you need to do is:
- Export your Google Reader OPML
- Create your own Custom Search Engine (CSE)
- Import your OPML file into your CSE
- Browse to Google Coop
- Click the control panel for your CSE
- Click the Advanced link
- Under "Annotations" browse to your OPML file and click Uplolad
Presto! You now have a now have a Google Search Engine of your subscribed blogs. Let's see how well it works on the aforementioned post.
Search from Google.com
Search with Google Custom Search Engine (CSE)
Sweet! Worked like a charm, now if Google would just do the leg work for us. :-)